The current shape mostly dates from the 13th century, though the main part was rebuilt in the 15th century.
The earliest reference to the church is in the Textus Roffensis (compiled c1120). Probably the most famous clergyman from St Nicholas is the celebrated preacher and poet John Donne, who was Rector from 1616 until 1631. Since 1907 the Church has had an evangelical ministry with a clear focus on the gospel. A fuller history can be found in Professor David Killingray’s Sevenoaks People & Faith (Phillimore, Chichester, 2004).
A major building project was completed in 1995 under the leadership of Revd Miles Thomson, which involved excavating under the building to provide more space for activities on site. The story is told in Julia Cameron’s book The Church that went under (Paternoster, Carlisle, 1999).
A church is a body of people, not the building itself, but having a building which serves contemporary needs and allows effective outreach to share the good news of Jesus Christ certainly helps.